February 10th, 2018
Today I´d like to explain how we can set up a seamless pattern in a manual way, without using any design program.
By doing this exercise, you will understand how a repeat pattern (that could be used on any surface) works.
These are the steps to follow:
- First, we draw in a paper all the motifs that will make our design. In my case, I have drawn some random flowers, avoiding visually horizontal or vertical lines with our elements.
- We cut into 4 equal parts the imagen that we have been drawing.
- After this, we create our base module for the pattern. For doing this, we must swap the 4 parts that we cut. This means that in the original rectangle we had above parts 1 and 2 and below parts 3 and 4 and now we change the positions having now above parts 4 and 3 and below parts 2 and 1. We use now sellotape at the back to attach the four parts. Our module is done.
- Now we can draw some other motifs if we see that there are some white gaps in the module.
- We make 4 copies of the module to assemble.
- Finally, we put together the four copies.
- Mi module looks like this:
It is a simple and basic exercise, but important to make you understand how seamless patterns work.
I encourage you to try yours and comment below!
Thanks for reading!